Saturday, February 06, 2016

Six weeks published

Well, it's only just over six weeks since I published "Life with our feet under water", and I've been delighted by the response to it. I now have my first reviews on the Amazon page from which the book sells.

4.0 out of 5 stars
In depth insight into life on a narrowboat
By Steven P. Carter on 26 Jan. 2016

A fascinating and very detailed account of the travels, tribulations and jubilations on board the good ship NB Kantara. This is no slim pamphlet cashing in on the plethora of "we sold our house and bought a boat" but a cross between a diary (as if written to oneself only, warts and all) and a blog (the modern announcement to the world). It has over 400 pages and is littered with quotations, sayings, maxims and even recipes. It's not something you could read in one go, but better to put down and then pick up later, perhaps dipping into specific chapters. Plus the author has attached thousands of photographs all linked to a Flickr account to be viewed online. It gives detailed accounts of living on a narrowboat and would best suit a novice boater or perhaps the curious; what is this boating bug and should I even try to catch it? The more experienced boater may gain from it too, as it does detail a lot of the cruising areas around their marina near Rugby and would be a good reading supplement to any cruising guide.

(That same review is also to appear in Towpath Talk in due course.)
5.0 out of 5 stars
Sailaway from the comfort of your lounge!
By andyclaret on 25 Jan. 2016

An enjoyable read of life on the canals whether or not you have a narrowboat. You are taken away to a more enjoyable way of life, still with it's ups and downs, they just happen slower. There is the added bonus at the end of each chapter where you can click a link to see the photographs taken by the author of what you have just read about. I am sure that many people will want to follow this way of life after reading this and purchase their own narrowboat.
By Mr. P. J. Howarth on 29 Jan. 2016

An interesting and informative read.

5.0 out of 5 stars
Very informative
By Stuart R. on 6 Feb. 2016

Good insight to boat life being humerus in parts well written very enjoyable taken lots of notes for future reference.


::::

I'm expecting a review in Canal Boat magazine in the coming months, too.
It's a pleasing start, but I'd rather like some more reviews. I've had a couple of suggestions that, because the book is quite long, and because there are so many photos to look at, it's going to take people longer than average to complete. And they do have other things to do with their lives! It's a fair point. I should have made it into two books. Darn!

I started off taking a lot of interest in the Amazon Bestsellers ranking, but soon found out that one's rank can change daily by several points, and I'm constantly jostling with two other writers for places in the top 15. I've had better and worse days than the one shown here...
There's little I can do about sales anyway, so it doesn't really make sense to pay much attention to the figures. And it's not as if I depend on it for my living. There are writers on Kindle who are relying on it to boost their income. It's just as well I'm not!

I can't remember if I've said this before, but a thing that fascinates me is a graph that's available to me that reports how many pages are read each day by those who are reading the book from Kindle Unlimited and the Kindle Owners' Lending Library.

Friday's a good day for reading!

I've had a good number of new readers of this blog lately, so for your benefit - and, I hope, for mine! - I'll tell you that the book is to be found on Amazon, published for Kindle and all other devices.

We watched the film "The Book of Eli" last night. I don't usually appreciate post-apocalyptic films, but this one was extraordinary.
"Thirty years after war turned the world into a wasteland, a lone warrior named Eli (Denzel Washington) marches across the ruined landscape, carrying hope for humanity's redemption. Only one other man (Gary Oldman) understands the power of what Eli carries, and he is determined to take it for himself. Though Eli prefers peace, he will risk death to protect his precious cargo, for he must fulfill his destiny to help restore mankind." 

Steve took a 4 o'clock flight this morning to France, for a week's snowboarding in the alps with friends. The forecast there is for lots of good snow. I still reckon ours is to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!