Sunday, October 11, 2015

Spooked!

It was the middle of the night. Around 3:30. Grace and I were both asleep. We were awoken with a start by strains of Taylor Swift singing "Fearless"! I'm sure I actually heard the first few bars in my sleep in the form of an unusual dream, but it didn't last long. Grace jumped out of bed and hurried up to the CD player. I fell out of bed and followed. She'd ejected the CD before I got there. But how had it started playing? I'd played it some hours before, ejected the disc just before sitting down for supper, and left it sticking out of the player, as I often do with discs. For some reason, somehow, the CD player had pulled the disc back in, and started to play it. Spooky, or what?
Needless to say, we didn't get back to sleep easily after that. I ended up reading "The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, aged 13¾" for an hour or so, while Grace tossed and turned, not wanting to admit sleep defeat. Finally, we got some shut-eye. And finally, we woke up at 10:30. Very late for us.

The demon CD is one of eight that I bought with a voucher given to me by the kids for my birthday, when they spent the day with us last Sunday. Sunday lunch at The George, and the afternoon back at Kantara, though the weather was lovely enough for us to sit outside for some time.
It's actually got awful vivid blue signs now!
They also gave me some amazing home-made peanut cookies, and the complete boxed set of the Adrian Mole books. Eight books, the first of which I read decades ago. I've nearly finished re-reading that one. It's still as funny as it was back in the 80s.
I asked Naomi for the recipe for the peanut cookies. She described the recipe as "embarrassingly simple". Sounds good to me!
Mix together 1 cup of peanut butter (about 270g), half a cup of sugar (about 120g) and a large egg. Roll into walnut-sized balls and place on a buttered baking tray, press flattish with a fork, and bake at 175C for around 8 minutes. They should still be soft when they come out, and just turning brown on the bottoms, but they'll crisp up as they cool.
Try them. If you like peanuts, these are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!