As an aide-memoire, I list here the steps to be taken each winter (updated Dec. 2014)
- Make sure the antifreeze in engine and central heating is sufficient to protect to minus 15 degrees Celsius
- Reduce the level of the water tank to just a few inches
- Close the stopcock from the water tank
- Open all taps, hot and cold, including the shower
- Let the pump run until the taps all run dry
- Hold down the button on the Thetford toilet until water stops flowing
- Turn on the washing machine until it tries to pump in water
- Switch off the pump, and disconnect the pipes from the pump. This will release water from the pump - take care!
- Lie the shower head in the shower tray
- Open the Pressure Relief Valve on the calorifier
- Disconnect the hot water outlet from the calorifier - jugs needed to collect the escaping water!
- Remove the water filter from the cold water supply to the galley (kitchen to you landlubbers)
- Switch off the battery isolator
- Switch off the gas
- Leave the toilet cassette empty of chemicals
- Open all cupboard doors, drawers, and the fridge door
- Open windows down the length of the boat
- Remove the 3G antenna, and lower the mast
I'm told snow is on its way!